Friday, August 13, 2010

Happy Hour

I had happy hour last night with other D moms. It is so nice to get together with other moms who go through the same daily struggles as we do each day. I have become so close to some of these moms and it has really been a life saver for me emotionally. It's nice to meet with people who understand my lingo. It's nice that they "get it" when I talk about how hard it is to deal with Lily's mood swings, or to get up at night and check, or to be too afraid to not get up at night and check.

My non D friends are great too but I really don't think they get the impact that diabetes has on your life, your marriage, your outlooks,  and so on. It's hard to live with this disease daily. It's hard to think of life pre-D. I don't remember much of what it was like to just give Lily food or go to a birthday party without taking in extra factors to determine how to best manage her and still let her just be a regular kid. I cannot even begin to imagine what life would be like if I could just drop her off somewhere and not be concerned that she'll be unconscious when I return to get her!

On the flip side, I can't imagine my life without who she is and this is just a part of her...so why dwell on the bad? I choose not to. Instead, I choose to find other moms to vent to that DO understand and I choose to find friends for my Lily that are going through what she is going through so that she isn't alone in her battle. She is an amazing kid, diabetes and all. I want to teach her that this will not slow her down but she may have to take a few extra steps to get the places she wants to go...and it will make getting there all the more worthwhile! Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment